Marseille beat Caen to move five points clear in Ligue 1


Andre-Pierre Gignac struck a stoppage-time winner as Marseille moved five points clear at the Ligue 1 summit on Saturday with a 2-1 victory at Caen. The game had looked to be heading towards a draw when Yrondu Musavu-King scored for the visitors in the 84th minute, cancelling out Alaixys Romao's effort 10 minutes earlier. But Gignac had the final word, lashing into the top corner in the 93rd minute to give OM a healthy advantage over their nearest challengers. Visiting goalkeeper Remy Vercoutre was called into action early on, but the former Lyon stopper got down well to Florian Thauvin after Dimitri Payet teed him up as Marseille looked to gain an early foothold. Caen's Mathieu Duhamel tried to test Steve Mandanda from outside the area, but the ball flew over the bar, before Gignac cut in from the left and went close with a 20-yard attempt for OM. Marseille continued to create the better chances as the half wore on, but Gignac's acrobatic effort hit his own team-mate before the same player could only find the side-netting from a tight angle after meeting Andre Ayew's delivery from the left. Gianelli Imbula had a great opportunity to open the scoring for the league leaders with 35 minutes gone, but the former Guingamp midfielder's first-time effort from 12 yards – after Ayew's nod-down – was well kept out by Vercoutre as the visitors' frustrations continued. Caen were struggling to deal with Ayew's dangerous deliveries and once again the Ghana international's cross created a great opening for Marcelo Bielsa's team but Thauvin's header was turned wide by a defender with Vercoutre seemingly beaten. Mandanda was called into action moments later and only some alert goalkeeping prevented an opportunity for a Caen goal before Gignac fired a volley just wide of Vercoutre's left post at the other end. But, with 15 minutes left to play, Marseille finally got the breakthrough they deserved. Payet rose highest to meet Romain Alessandrini's delivery and, with the aid of a deflection, his header nestled in the back of the net. However, OM's lead lasted just 10 minutes when Musavu-King nodded Jean Calve's free-kick beyond Mandanda to grab what seemed like a point for the hosts. But, with seconds to play, Marseille dramatically reclaimed the lead when Gignac emphatically drilled the ball into the top corner from 12 yards after Benajmin Mendy had set him up.