Marco Reus injured as Borussia Dortmund drop two points


Borussia Dortmund's troubled season continued on Saturday as Marco Reus suffered a fresh injury and they were held to a 2-2 draw at promoted Paderborn. Reus gave Dortmund a 2-0 lead in the 45th minute, after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang opened the scoring, before having to be carried off on a stretcher with 22 minutes left on the clock when the score was 2-1 thanks to Lukas Rupp pulling one back for the hosts. The Germany international's latest knock was just the latest blow to a season that has so far failed to take off for Dortmund and Mahir Saglik's late equaliser made it even more miserable for the 2011 and 2012 Bundesliga champions. Before the game Klopp was at pains to point out to his side that, despite winning the domestic title twice in the last four years, they were not going into the game as favourites against a club who are in the top flight for the very first time in their history. He was not fooling many, though, not least Paderborn coach Andre Breitenreiter, who had set his team up a little more defensively than usual. They held firm to prevent Reus from giving Dortmund an early lead, but they were breached in the 10th minute when Aubameyang met Erik Durm's cross on the volley from close range. It was back to basics for Paderborn, and that meant a return to their fearless brand of football which has served them well so far this season. Immediately, they started to create chances of their own with Suleyman Koc a constant source of danger. The East Westphalians appeared to be getting closer and closer to levelling when, in first-half stoppage time, they conceded at just the wrong time. Aubameyang turned provider this time to set up Reus, who beat Lukas Kruse from 10 yards out. It was time for Paderborn's top-scorer Elias Kachunga to make his entrance and, within 15 minutes, the hosts were right back in the game. Marvin Bakalorz led a swift counter-attack which was finished off well by Rupp, showing no sign of nerves when presented with only Roman Weidenfeller to beat. There followed an anxious moment for Dortmund when Reus appeared to be caught on his ankle by Bakalorz, and he was replaced midway through the second half. Still coming to terms with that shock, Paderborn had more in store as they levelled through Saglik's header from Koc's corner with just under 10 minutes to go. Dortmund were unable to recover from the double shock, leaving the Paderborn Arena with more worries than when they had arrived with the prospect of a drop inside the bottom three again on Sunday, and another lengthy spell on the sidelines for Reus.