City outclass Gladbach in dominant display

Moussa Dembele penalty earns Celtic a point at Gladbach


Moussa Dembele's second-half penalty gave Celtic a 1-1 draw at Borussia Monchengladbach on Tuesday to keep their Champions League hopes alive.

In what was a spirited performance by the visitors, Scott Sinclair crashed a shot off the post in the 23rd minute before home captain Lars Stindl, who had opened the scoring in Gladbach's 2-0 win in Glasgow, volleyed home on 32 minutes to give the Bundesliga side an interval lead.

Striker Andre Hahn hit woodwork for the hosts after the break but, in the 76th minute, defender Julian Korb was shown a straight red card by Portuguese referee Manuel De Sousa for pulling down Dembele as he shaped to shoot, and the French striker slotted in the penalty.

The Scottish champions finished the game looking for the win but had to be content with the point which took them on to two with two matches remaining -- against Barcelona and Manchester City.

City's win over Barca on Tuesday moved them five points ahead of Celtic.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers had something of a defensive crisis with Kieran Tierney, Kolo Toure and Jozo Simunovic all out while a virus had prevented striker Leigh Griffith from travelling to Germany.

Sweden right-back Mikael Lustig moved into the centre to partner Erik Sviatchenko, with Cristian Gamboa coming in at full-back and midfielder Stuart Armstrong replacing Nir Bitton.

Monchengladbach boss Andre Schubert was able to call upon Thorgan Hazard, brother of Chelsea star Eden, after he had missed the game at Celtic Park through injury.

The visitors survived several corners in the opening stages against a home side who took control without looking as purposeful as they had in Scotland.

The Hoops began to edge forward with growing confidence, but when they lost possession high up the field in the 20th minute, Monchengladbach broke with pace and goalkeeper Craig Gordon had to race from his goal to block a low drive by defender Tobias Stobl.

Three minutes later, the Bundesliga side enjoyed some luck when Sinclair's curling shot from just inside the box beat Yann Sommer but rebounded off the post.

The anxiety among the Gladbach fans grew as their side struggled to hit top gear, but when Hazard got beyond stand-in left-back Emilio Izaguirre once more Celtic were made to pay. His cross found Stindl, who sent a right-footed volley past Gordon from 10 yards.

Rodgers' side started the second half confidently enough but were cut open again in the 52nd minute by Hahn, but this time Stindl did not connect with his shot properly.

Fabian Johnson came close with an angled drive and Gordon saved a close-range effort from Christoph Kramer and a powerful drive from Hazard as Monchengladbach reasserted themselves.

Amid all that Patrick Roberts replaced James Forrest and, as the game grew stretched, opportunities presented themselves at both ends.

In the 65th minute Stindl set up Hahn, whose side-footed shot from 14 yards beat Gordon but came off the post while Dembele tested Sommer with a decent drive at the other end.

However, when Dembele was hauled to the ground inside the penalty by Korb, De Sousa pointed to the spot and sent the Monchengladbach man packing.

After the equaliser Callum McGregor, on for Gamboa, drove wide of the far post when presented with a late chance to give Celtic victory.

Contac Us | Advertise on | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | Information for the copyright holders