City outclass Gladbach in dominant display

Kamil Glik claims point for Monaco with late goal vs. Leverkusen


An excellent shot deep into second-half stoppage from Kamil Glik rescued a 1-1 draw for Monaco at home to Bayer Leverkusen.

Glik's sweet half-volley from the edge of the box flew into the top-left of goal in the 94th minute.

Former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez looked to have headed a 73rd-minute winner at the Stade Louis II.

The Mexico international, who enjoyed four largely successful seasons at Old Trafford from 2010 to 2014 before spending a campaign on loan at Real Madrid, scored his 100th goal in the European continent, most of which came for United before he joined Leverkusen just over a year ago.

Hernandez was the match's most dangerous player, also testing Monaco gloveman Danijel Subasic either side of half-time prior to goal.

The result leaves Monaco still top of Champions League Group E after their 2-1 win over Tottenham at Wembley on matchday one.

CSKA prop up the group after losing 1-0 at home to Spurs on Tuesday evening following their 2-2 draw at Leverkusen a fortnight ago.

Leverkusen's Kevin Volland had an early shot blocked as the visitors started well, causing Monaco to switch formation early on to 4-2-3-1 with Thomas Lemar and Bernardo Silva playing either side of Joao Moutinho.

Chances were few in a tight first half, although Moutinho almost released Valere Germain with a delightful ball using the outside of his foot.

Lemar almost broke the deadlock just before half-time, but he shots just high and wide from Djibril Sidibe's back heel.

There was still time before the break for Hernandez to go even closer. He forced Subasic to make an excellent, low save - tipping the ball round the post.

Monaco went close early in the second period, Silva beating goalkeeper Bernd Leno but having his close-range shot blocked by Omer Toprak. But it was Leverkusen who dominated, Hernandez and Charles Aranguiz forcing Subasic into action.

The pressure told when Hernandez headed in from close range after Admir Mehmedi crossed from the right.

However Monaco refused to give in and Glik's late strike levelled proceedings.

Contac Us | Advertise on | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | Information for the copyright holders