Bayern Munich have announced that they have reached an agreement with Roma to sign centre-back Medhi Benatia. Benatia, who will sign a five-year deal with the German champions, is still yet to have a medical but is expected in Munich in the coming days to undergo one. Bayern made their move for the 27-year-old after losing Javi Martinez for six months to a serious knee injury picked up in the German Super Cup against Borussia Dortmund. And with Olympiakos defender Kostas Manolas reportedly already in the Italian capital and set to sign for the Giallorossi after passing his medical, the Serie A club have agreed to the sale of Benatia. Bayern defender Jerome Boateng told Sport1: "That's super. It's great for FC Bayern if another good player comes here. I don't know him that well, but I hope he's a reinforcement for us and brings in a new quality." Representatives of the German and Italian clubs reportedly struck a deal for the Morocco international on Monday night after the player had agreed terms with Bayern. Roma were believed to have been asking for 30 million euros with Bayern's original offer reported to have been closer to 24 million. Benatia emerged as one of the best central defenders in Serie A last season, his first at Roma following a summer switch from Udinese. He helped them finish second behind Juventus, qualifying for the Champions League in the process, missing only one league match and scoring five goals. However, he claimed a promise to increase his wages was reneged on at the end of the season and he turned down the Giallorossi's offer of improved terms last week. Sources told ESPN FC earlier in August that Manchester United were interested in signing Benatia, with Manchester City and Chelsea also reportedly after the player. Roma director of football Walter Sabatini had previously stated in May that Benatia could only leave if the club received an offer of 61 million euros.